Discussion: RV/Travel Trailer... Good place to live or not?

(1/4) > >>

Truth:
The purpose of this thread and the reason I posted in the Patrolling board is because what I'd like to discuss deals with Wog living/Bug out/Bug in.

Assuming you could master control over material items and decided to get and live in an RV/Travel Trailer/Bus conversion, what advantages/disadvantages would you think it would have to a wog?

Example: One advantage is portability. If needed you can pack up and leave quickly and bring your entire home and all your gear. If setup right you could have your own power (solar panels/wind turbine) and total cost of living in one is much lower than a traditional home (more money for more important things).

Discuss?

2xMakina:
The only downsides I see are:

1) Cost of the trailer vs. the cost of a traditional home.
2) Where do you park the damn thing?
3) Income

Other than that, I'd RATHER live like that.  I've seen some pretty damn comfortable travel trailers and motorhomes that I wouldn't mind living out of.

The only other downside I can think of is that as I get older, the more ties to a community I have, thus making mobility less of a priority and community participation a higher priority.

But that's just me.

I've often dreamed about living out of a luxury motorhome -- if I had the income, I'd do exactly that.

2x

Yugosaki:
Unless you already have a significant other who supports this method of living, say goodbye to any notions of dating.

Also employers don't tend to like people with no fixed address. Although some are fine with a P.O. box.

And where do you park the damn thing? Campgrounds are gonna cost nearly as much as a cheap rental property in the long term, and you can't just pull up into any parking lot and stay indefinitely.

If you had a plot of land, or wanted to live a nomadic life, I could see this being a major advantage though. Maybe some apartment dweller can buy a cheap plot of undeveloped land in the middle of nowhere and set up a bugout home. Now THERE'S an idea.

edit: ha, 2x beat me on the parking thing.. with the exact same words. Wogs think alike.

Rantster:
There are certainly pros and cons to living like that. Let me make a quick list of them.

Pros:
Cheaper to buy a used RV / Trailer than most houses
Portable

Cons:
Space is very limited
No equity in an RV / Trailer
Still need a place to put it.

I would think if you are single (or have a very understanding significant other) AND you had cash on hand to purchase a trailer outright it might not be too bad. If it were me, and I was considering this, I would probably try to find a nice cheap used trailer on Craigslist or Etc, and find an acre of land way out in the country where you could park it, have power run in, phone and even add a septic system, and you would still be well under the price of most homes.

The problem with all of those is that it is highly unlikely you could finance that, so you would need ready money.

One pro to doing that is you could set money aside and build your own home as you can afford to (provided you have the skills to do it).

Another pro to what I am talking about is if you decide to move, you can pack up your trailer, unhook it, and move on, and sell the property.

If my situation were different (IE not married, etc) I would probably give this some serious thought. In face my wife & I have discussed trying to purchase a couple of acres of land and buying one of those HUGE RV Trailers and setting it up to live in temporarily and building our own house. However for now, it is more feasible for us to continue renting a house.

If you do decide to do it, I would try to stick with a trailer versus a self propelled RV and I would try to find something that is 1/2 ton towable (unless you already own a 3/4 or 1 ton truck).

---------------------------------------------------

Now if you are considering getting an RV and living a nomadic lifestyle where you move around every couple of weeks, well I will let someone else handle that discussion, I don't think it is a wise decision in a preparedness frame of mind. It is harder to be self sustaining if you can't put down any roots.

avagdu:
Although everyone astutely pointed out the challenges of living in such a way, I probably don't take as negative of an outlook about the chances of success.  Yes, it is true that in cities it is not the best choice because the risk of harassment is much higher and there is less chance to park it without problems. But in rural areas its unlikely to be a problem.  Especially in a more covert vehicle.  There are ways to earn an income without a standard job - but that's just it, it's not standard. You are going to have to work a lot harder to find jobs and to keep working.  I've freelanced for a few years so I know it is not easy and hard to sustain.  

If you telework you can do a lot.  To telework you need an internet connection, and in rural areas that's not easy but not impossible either. Generally you can find satellite carriers.  You can also do handywork around rural areas for cash.  You may have to start with an address but it doesn't mean you have to keep it. Once you get the account you need you can manage most of that stuff online.

As Yugo said, I would not suggest parking in a campground, but there are remote areas, forest land, etc. where there are dirt roads and no established camp sites. You can stay out there a long time if you are near water and travel into town occasionally for food or fuel.

Vehicles that are made to live in generally cost a lot more, but they have an advantage in the fact that they are insulated which is essentially required if you live anywhere that is cold or wet most of the time.  It will also make it a lot more comfortable if you live somewhere hot.  They also usually have amenities that allow you to stay out longer without feeling like a hassle, and that would be the point.  If you're prepared, obviously you can survive just about anything but you might not like it.  But if you are enjoying yourself, you can sustain much longer.  Don't underestimate the importance of morale.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page