Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Founder and 3 officers of MegaUpload arrested, service taken down.  (Read 819 times)
destined
Ranter Level 5

Throw any thing at the swirl and see where it goes

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2012, 07:59:33 pm »

If you think the US won't go after cyberlockers and like fileshare services, Megaupload. The founders were arrested in New Zealand and are being extradited to the United States. Several other executives and associates are being sought throughout the world.

The reason why the US was able to do this, is that MegaUpload used services of a webhoster or US based service in Ashburn, Virginia. And I also believe they owned a portion of Carpathia or some other US based webhosting as well that was their command and control service of their system.

Here is a copy of the AP article:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g0HiB0PrdprLqIHlwUdYtB05l2sA?docId=c93737704b504930a11fc307d67b674d
cimmerian
Media Producer
Administrator
Ranter Level 5

Don't hate the media, become the media.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:16:16 am »

I predict a mass exile of "user generated content" websites from US hosting companies out of fear of prosecution/jail time. As far as I've read, MegaUpload even complied quite promptly with DMCA take down notices. People will also have to dump .com / .net / .org domains and register somewhere else to avoid prosecution.

James O'Brien (Cimmerian)
http://rantmedia.ca/
Mindgrinder
Ranter Level 5

Karma Pirate Ninja Jedi Negative Energy Vampire

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:53:06 am »

Your link sux Dest...sign out of google...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-01-19/megaupload-feds-shutdown/52678528/1

"Megaupload is based in Hong Kong, but some of the alleged pirated content was hosted on leased servers in Ashburn, Va., which gave federal authorities jurisdiction, the indictment said."

There's that word.....jurys dick shun.

Grinder

I took both pills just to see what would happen and chased it with a 5'th of Magellan Tears.  HUZZAH!
destined
Ranter Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 11:11:13 pm »

LOL. MaGrinder, the tough bone chewer. Yeah, that content wasn't great. I could have pulled the content some where else. But it was an AP article. And a lot of news service grind up AP article to keep them from running afoul of copyright laws per se.

Two things stand out of this article from Reuters:

""The company is looking at its legal options for getting back its servers and its domain and getting its servers back up online," Megaupload's lawyer Ira Rothken told Reuters. "Megaupload will vigorously defend itself.""

And as Cimm is predicting:

"Less than a day after U.S. authorities shut down the Megaupload.com site and several of its sister sites, there appeared to be an attempt to resurrect the site.

Twitter was flooded with messages circulating a new Internet Protocol address, but the site offered no substantive content immediately and it did not appear that it was sanctioned by Megaupload.

The new website, which is being hosted in the Netherlands, looked similar to the original Megaupload.com website. The company's lawyer said that he was not directly familiar with the new site."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/20/us-usa-crime-piracy-idUSTRE80I24220120120

All I can say is I agree with Cimm. Like when the European had issues with the no-fly list and other data protections of the united states. Certain companies forced their data handler/cloud providers to keep their data OUT of the United States system
and their sentiments are being confirmed now....
Mindgrinder
Ranter Level 5

Karma Pirate Ninja Jedi Negative Energy Vampire

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 12:46:06 pm »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248549/megaupload_story_filled_with_drama.html

"
Details of his arrest are now coming out. Apparently, it was a dramatic, high-tech stand-off when dozens of New Zealand police backed by helicopters swarmed Dotcom's barricaded mansion to arrest him on Friday. Dotcom refused them entry and police had to cut their way through electronic locks to a safe room, where they discovered him with a sawed-off shotgun.
"

Shoulda had a "Get off my LAN" sign...

Newb.

Grinder

I took both pills just to see what would happen and chased it with a 5'th of Magellan Tears.  HUZZAH!
destined
Ranter Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:19:31 am »

Some where I saw on one of my twitter feeds that they suggested Kim Dotcom should have had a backway exit - escape route like an modern day Al Capone and he would have not had this problem.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: