Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you dumb? (someone gets caught.)  (Read 926 times)
destined
Ranter Level 5

Throw any thing at the swirl and see where it goes

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:14:39 am »

Well, I have been reading a number of stories about people doing DUMB things like this one:

src: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57395084-83/anti-abortion-anonymous-hacker-arrested-in-u.k/

Seems this fool needed to broadcast his exploits over twitter and he got CAUGHT! or this story could be some form of fabrication as we have been talking about on similar threads. But why my question is, why would you be DUMB enough to run your mouth about an exploit about attacking a website from the UK that is probably going to get the attention of everyone? This person must have had a huge and overblown ego and false desire to WANT to really get caught.

He's my #1 idiot this week. I'm thinking of starting a thread here for others to post their #1 idiot stories? Smiley I bet there is enough of them to make reel-to-real thread longer than any other one in the forums.
exe
Ranter Level 5

testing avatar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 12:39:08 pm »

Maybe he didn't care about getting caught. Like sometimes its cool to be caught if you catch my drift. But actually i think your link, links to someone who acted even more stupid.
Your link, linked to this

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-57391349-17/lulzsec-arrests-deal-blow-to-hacker-group/

And this story is also in a newspaper that i bought. Its about Hector Xavier Monsegur --> HXM who got caught by the FBI for hacking, and instead of taking the full punishment he joins forces with the FBI and reveals other hackers so they can get caught too.
Like putting yourself to jail is as stupid as it gets but to put other people in jails is much more stupid.
HXM wanted a revolution, and he continued behaving like a revolutionary even under the control of the FBI. On the day before he had to go to the court he tweeted "the feds are right now investigating our lives without any warrant, without a judge is getting asked. This must stop. As fast as possible."
The last tweet sounded, 4 hours before the meeting with the judge, "The revolution, i say i am, i were, i want to be".

(its not exact quotes because i translated them back into english)

But so much for a revolution if you keep sending people to the jail lols.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:42:43 pm by exe » Logged

"Its futile to dig in, if you cant prevent the enemys artilery to get within range"
Nicotine
Ranter Level 5

W.A.R. - Wog Amateur Radio

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 12:39:24 pm »

In general, and depending on the crime, criminals tend not to be very bright.

Example:  You need to be dumb enough to think your exploits are worth the potential prison sentence if you get caught, or dumb enough not to consider the fact that you could get caught, as is the case when people post about their misdeeds on twitter.  Roll Eyes

Just about any crime you hear of being committed reflects this.  Of course, you don't hear about the crimes committed by people who are smart enough not to get caught usually.

Something to consider in the case posted above, anyone who can break a password can post a tweet under someone else's account.  Someone able enough to hack Britain's largest abortion provider's network surely is smart enough to figure out one of his/her less intelligent associate's twitter passwords to throw off the trail once he starts feeling heat.  That seems much easier for me to believe than someone who is familiar with opsec posting a confession for the whole world to see.  Tongue

"In retrospect, live ammo seems ill-advised for a bug-out drill."
eukreign
Ranter Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 01:05:58 pm »

I think you confuse street/social smarts with technical knowledge.

Not all computer hackers are also social hackers. Many probably are, but not all.

Anyways, what you suggest could also be true. I'm just saying that it's possible either way.
Nicotine
Ranter Level 5

W.A.R. - Wog Amateur Radio

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:45:37 pm »

That is a good point, technical know-how doesn't always mean common sense.  But the very core of hacking is opsec and posting something damning on twitter is about as diametrically opposed to opsec as you can get.  I just don't see it happening, even from a social retard of a hacker.  Maybe, but unlikely.

Stranger things have happened though I guess, and there is always that ONE guy. 

"In retrospect, live ammo seems ill-advised for a bug-out drill."
destined
Ranter Level 5

Throw any thing at the swirl and see where it goes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:19:25 am »

I think the main point of my post and said so well, is this idiot didn't learn how to cover his tracks well, when he was going around boasting on twitter? Or he could have employed a simpler method?

KEPT HIS MOUTH SHUT.. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: