Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WOGing it with the kids  (Read 6102 times)
Cleric Epyon
Ranter Level 2

Keep the Faith

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2008, 04:08:04 am »

I have 4 brats (6B,8B,9B,11G). These 4 have it better then I did when I grew up. They each have there own GPS unit, FRS radio and a little more then a start in personal camping gear. Long before I got married and had the wonder menaces to society I had a running joke with my family about my children having terrorist training starting at age 3. Back then I was afraid that was the way the world was heading. I want to prepare them for anything that may happen from a common accident to worse case scenarios. I don't want to have them freeze up and not be able to run away or help because the situation turned bad. 

Now the way of WOGdom is not always accepted by The Sane, differently when children are involved. Some think we prepare ourselves for violence and children should not be exposed to anything more deadly then puppy and kittens.

I myself have no problem with having my kids watching the new with me or seeing a blood and guts movies (again with me). Its my job to make them understand what is happening in the world along with instructing them on how to handle it should it happen too or around them.  Yes my brats are young but age doesn't matter much when it come to the evil things in this world. They say kids are never to young to talk to them about the evils of drugs and why they should avoid it and those who use it. On that same idea I don't think mine are too young to start preparing them on the rest.

Now I am sure I offended someones sensibilities by saying all this and them I say you are entitled to your opinion. I am just wondering about everyone elses opinion on this subject.

When is it time to start WOG training on your children? After all if the world turns upside down and all goes to heck it may be during their time and not ours so they will have to take care of us.

I may refer to my children as brats but thats because I am proud of them for they are free thinking intelligent kids even my 6 year old. I have all of them in scouts, we geocache when we can and I have them working together (They work together when they try to put one over on dad, I'm so proud).

Thank you for reading and have a nice day.
Yugosaki
Ranter Level 5

Falling down stairs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 09:37:02 am »

Keep in mind with all my advice here, I am not a parent by any stretch. I don't think I even have the patience to deal with young children, so i applaud you. But my dad did teach me some survival skills as a kid (he truly is a wog at heart) so I can see what affect his advice had on me.

I say that even though children should be protected from the bad things in the world, they should learn to protect themselves. you can't protect them forever. They should also know why, children should understand that even though most people are good, there are some bad people in the world.

I say don't focus on the violence until they are older, you have to make sure they understand violence is generally bad and should be avoided if possible. Martial arts are good for this. Your 11 year old there might be old enough to grasp the concept of when not to and when to use violence.

Instead focus mostly on the good. teach them if something bad happens, that what you teach them will help them protect themselves and at the same time help people who are not as lucky.

Start steering away from the gear, make sure they are not dependant on it. Go camping, don't use a GPS or compass (keep them on hand to be safe) teach the kids to navigate by the sun and the stars, how to improvise shelter. Because they are so young you can even make a game of it. You said your kids are in scouts, so they should already be getting some of this knowledge. And you geocache, so they obviously know how to use GPS to navigate.

As for violence, I say martial arts is probably one of the best options. It is generally regarded as good to have your kids in some form of martial art. But be careful not to put your kids in too many activities at once. Also if you are into it, you could start taking them hunting when they get into their teenage years. This is a practical skill, teaches firearm discipline, and you get a couple months of good meat out of it too (if you know what you are doing). Of course, hunting isn't for everyone, you could even go to a firing range occasionally (when they are older) to teach them how to handle a real weapon, and paintball to teach the tactics of it. Paintball is popular, easy to get into, and i have seen kids as young as 5 get into it and in some cases even be a better shot than myself! With hunting and shooting range, some people really frown on that, paintball has the added advantage of 'it's just a game!' Which gets rid of alot of the social stigma about it.

Keep in mind, none of my advise is given from a parents perspective, so all should be taken with a grain of salt. I have no idea what it's like to be in your position, so just use your WOG-sense (better than common sense because wogs arent common Smiley )
Cleric Epyon
Ranter Level 2

Keep the Faith

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 03:39:58 pm »

Hey, I welcome any comments on this. Its been something I have thought about a lot. I am not a model parent. I just want to do right by my kids and keep them safe. Thanx for your comments.
V
Ranter Level 5

In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran..........

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 03:44:49 pm »

I heartily agree with you, both.

My daughter is 11, and I've taken her camping and exposed her to firemaking, shelter building and other WOG goodness. All this physical training needs to backed up with the philosophy of thinking for onesself and learning new skills and information.

I would agree that parents have to take some responsibility to fill in the large gaps left by modern education.

Those who sacrifice freedom for security will lose both and deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Check out: www.r4nger5.com www.standovermedia.tk
Nophix
Ranter Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 10:43:22 pm »

My wife and I have a 3 year old boy and a 1 year old girl. We've both agreed that they will NOT be sheltered at all. We will both be there to coach them through the evils and perils of life, but not at all to hide the real world from them. I basically grew up on my own, and had to learn it all myself. My wife was a lot more sheltered, so between us we have a good mix.

If anyone has ever seen standup with Chris Titus, he makes a comment about kids who aren't sheltered being able to, when the crap comes flying, simply step out of the way because they see it ahead of time. However, the sheltered youth run into an issue, and completely freak because they have no idea what to do. Its more true than anything I've heard in a long time.

So, my kids will grow up knowing things are messed up out there, but happiness with themselves can be found. 

The Cell Phone Geek
http://cellphonegeekery.blogspot.com

Got smartphone related questions? PM me and I'll be happy to help.
V
Ranter Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 09:51:25 am »

If you take an AWOL bag, as well as a camping kit, you can make a 'game' of survival training.

Those who sacrifice freedom for security will lose both and deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Mad Evil
Ranter Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 12:01:35 pm »

If you take an AWOL bag, as well as a camping kit, you can make a 'game' of survival training.
you just need some people to act as flesh/brain-eating-mutant-zombie-monsters that creep around the dark woods and you're all set for a game there Cheesy
Cleric Epyon
Ranter Level 2

Keep the Faith

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 07:42:31 pm »

I am liking the Native Indian way of sending the young into the woods for a set period of time to live on nature and on thier own. But that now a days it would most likely be called abuse and charges filed.
V
Ranter Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 10:10:29 pm »

It didn't seem to bother the scout leaders, when I was a kid!

blackwhire
Ranter Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 12:55:36 am »

wouldnt be abuse if you were with them.. and you "got lost" tisk tisk

"Wondering through a sea of thoughts, I come to a simple realization. I am at a war with my own rationalization of current events."
Loopster
Ranter Level 5

Son Of Liberty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 01:38:06 am »

Yeah, I have been thinking about this a lot too. My 3yo is getting ready to take tai-chi and we are going camping when things warm up. Samurai kids were sent as early as 5years old to public executions by themselves. Indian kids were sent into the woods to survive.

Hiding things and pretending they don't exist isn't exactly my idea of being prepared. If it exists, my kids will know about it. The younger they are, the less harm it has on them. If you shield them it only makes it hard for them to deal later in life. I think there is actually psychology to this: you don't let them have something you really want them to learn just long enough to make them want it and then you let them 'discover it' for themselves.

I think Sean covered gear when he said 1 wog/1 kit. I have made her an AWOL bag that she can carry. It has her sleeping bag, clothes, food/water/higene. What else does she need at 3? Maybe a towel. At that age it is hard to make kit light enough for them and to keep them interested.

We passed a corpse the other day and I explained to her that the guy died and what happens. She wasn't scared by that but the police man who came up after and told us we couldn't see what was happening had her scared.

Do we need a one world government to have one world freedom?
Rabid_Llama8
Ranter Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 01:54:40 am »

Maybe I have gotten the wrong impression here but I thought being Wog was a state of mind, not some sort of art you can teach.  Not to deter you from teaching your kids to be able to take care of themselves, by all means, great idea.  I was just under the impression that by being Wog was being of the mind to think about things such as function over form and keeping an open mind, YOUR mind and things like this.  Granted, learning about kit and camping and self reliance is a by product of the Wog mindset, can we really call teaching self reliance training to be Wog?  Its not a milita right?

This is not meant to berate your idea.  I love the idea of teaching your kids these things (granted you present them the idea, not force it on them), rather this is an honest question posed to all of us.
V
Ranter Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 03:26:04 am »

The idea is that camping provides the ultimate state of problem solving and self sufficiency.

You provide all your basic needs for yourself. It is wog by example.

Loopster
Ranter Level 5

Son Of Liberty

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 12:46:55 pm »

Llama, I don't think you can separate state of mind and art. They are the same thing. I am not entirely sure I understand what you are getting at, but I think you mean to say being a WOG is a grown up choice and shouldn't be taught to young kids?

I don't think I agree with that. If I use the definition presented else where (Wisdom Oriented Guardian) then I would have to say there is a duty to make sure your kids are ready for the cold hard reality of this world no matter what age they are. A child can die just as easy as an adult... maybe more readily. Katrina, Africa, 9/11, Iraq, religion, etc. are proof of that.

Do we need a one world government to have one world freedom?
Rabid_Llama8
Ranter Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 02:40:26 pm »

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I've got a head cold and my ability with words has suffered because of it.  I'm not trying to say its a grown up decision or anything.  I think what caught my attention was essentially saying that you were training someone to be Wog, kinda like training someone to be a soldier and thats not really what I interpreted a Wog to be.   Its like you can't train someone to think like you want them to think and you can't force it otherwise you're defeating the purpose of being Wog.  Granted, you can do everything you can to prepare your kids to be Wog and teaching them self reliance is indeed a great thing so I applaud that.  Not enough parents take an active role in teaching their children.  Like I said before, I wasn't questioning that, it was merely a question of all of our definitions of what being Wog is.  I'm not saying I'm right, I'm trying to find out really.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: